Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cookies...The Perfect Way to Start the Day


Brian came home from the Youth Conference last night so I made him some no-bake cookies to celebrate (he was only gone 24 hours, but I thought it was a good excuse; really, I just wanted some cookies). I left those cookies on the counter to set.
This morning Aaron got up just 15 minutes before we had to get up for church, so I told him to go out into the living room and play with his trains. 15 minutes later I got up to get him some breakfast and found him sitting at the table with a cookie in front of him.
The virtue of no bake cookies is that you drop them onto wax paper to set, so you know how many you've eaten if you eat them straight off the wax paper because they leave a chocolatey print. There were four missing cookies, and the fifth was in front of him!
He smiled a big, chocolatey smile and said, "Cookies, Mommy!" What could I do? The cookies were already eaten and it was my own fault for not putting them away. So I got him a glass of milk and called it breakfast. At least they have oatmeal in them, right?
Here's my recipe from Grandma if anyone cares to serve it up for their kids' breakfast (I don't recommend it).

No-Bake Cookies
2 C sugar
1/2 C milk
1 cube margarine
3 TB cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C coconut
3 C oats

In a medium saucepan combine and bring to boil margarine, milk, sugar, cocoa, and salt over medium heat. Boil for 1.5 minutes. Remove from burner and add peanut butter, vanilla, coconut, and oats. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper. Allow to cool and enjoy once set.

BreeAnna is into books lately. She'll go get one from the shelf and bring it to me. Then she motions for me to sit down so she can sit in my lap. We usually don't make it to the end of the book, but she's got the idea.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Cookies can totally be breakfast food! Just count it towards their daily grain/dairy allowance! :)